Friday, September 23, 2011

SOOTHING WORDS




This is an exact, or almost exact, replica of a page in my diary I named “THE INVENTORY,” on Saturday 20, December, 2008. Here it goes:




‘Last weekend at the meetings, Tobi’s grandma, Sis. Oluwatosin asked me to tell her when I would see her during the week. I told her I’d see her during the week. I told her I’d give her a call to let her know when I’ll come visiting. I called on Wednesday and told her I’ll be there the following day. We got upstairs together and of course no electricity to power the fan, therefore my skin turned on the taps. She dropped a bottle of water (small size) and a can of coke. Her words start and I thought of the things she wanted to say but I didn’t think she would utter the couple of things she said next. She expressed her profound appreciation for the works I’ve been performing at the christian meetings. She said she’s always happy with the progress I’m making spirituality. She said a lot of things which I do not remember at this moment but they were words at the right time just when I was about getting back to my depressing state.



However, she left me with these words that I hope I never forget, “Time is never wasted.” She explained extensively that it is when you remember something that you have,to do and circumstances allow it then that is your time, because what you know now is not what you knew then. Therefore, you should understand that you must NEVER REGRET YOUR WRONG DECISIONS TO THE POINT OF DEPRESSION.’




I have often thought of this day as something special. No one has spoken to me like this before- not even my parents. For someone who I have hardly ever spent time with to understand me must have been ‘Godsent’. She may not have known what I was going through at the time or maybe she knows, but she hit the nail on the head. It has made me think that people with whom you have spent a lifetime with may not know how to handle your situation, while someone sho is new might just know the trick.




I have often been a negatively-tuned person, but on that day I saw hope. I have faced recurring depression and no one seemed to know what was wrongor how to handle it.




I would forever thank this elderly woman, Sis. Oluwatosin, and I hope anyone who reads this can learn something or a few from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment